We’re big fans of easy mid-week meals in our family, particularly as we both work out of the house full-time and Pip doesn’t get picked up until 6pm. Although she does have tea at 5pm at pre-school, we do like to try and sit down to eat as a family, and have come to accept that to achieve this, mid-week meals need to be fast to compile. We also try to eat a vegetarian meal a few times a week.
We get a veg box from Riverford* delivered on a Tuesday, so this vegetarian taco meal is a perfect Tuesday night feast. I was invited by Old El Paso to go to a cookery school, Food at 52, to learn how to make them, and they were so tasty, I wanted to share the recipe.
The beauty of this recipe is that there really are no set amounts or even contents – that said, as the combination we learnt at Food at 52 is not one I would have thought of personally but I thought it was delicious, I thought I’d share!
Click through for the recipe
For the vegetarian filling to feed 3-4 people:
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 courgette
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 packet Old El Paso “Stand & Stuff” Taco kit which includes seasoning (which you use for a meat version) and soft taco shells
- 1 jar Old El Paso Fajita sauce
You’ll also want your preference of:
- cheddar cheese
- sour cream
Takes about 5 mins prep, 20 mins cooking and then 5 mins assembly.
1. Dice the vegetables for the filling – place in bowls to keep separate. Heat some oil in a wide and quite deep frying pan and add the onion and sweet potato. Soften gently.
2. After about 10 mins, add the courgette and red pepper and continue to soften.
3. Add the jar of Fajita sauce. Stir.
4. Add the kidney beans. Cover, stirring occasionally, until all the veg is soft, particularly the sweet potato.
5. Shred lettuce, chop tomatoes, grate the cheese and warm the soft tacos. Collate sour cream, jalapeños and other toppings as desired.
6. Fill taco shell with filling and top with your preference of toppings. Eat!
7. (optional) Serve with a margarita and nachos (also good for whilst you’re doing the cooking!)
And now some photos from the event, if you’re interested.
I was not paid for this post nor to attend the event. I attended the event which included eating the meal we learnt to cook, and was given a kit including soft taco shells and taco kit to try the recipe at home. Photos courtesy of Reprise Media.
* Mention my name to Riverford when you call to place your order and you’ll receive a free cook book worth £16.99 & your 4th vegbox free